Manager/Senior Manager – Direct & Indirect Tax
- Mumbai, India
- Full Time
JOB TITLE: MANAGER/SENIOR MANAGER – DIRECT & INDIRECT TAX
LOCATION: MUMBAI, INDIA
JioSaavn is South Asia’s leading music streaming service. We are over 300 entrepreneurs, across New York, California, Mumbai, Gurgaon, and Bangalore, who help music lovers access, discover, and listen to their favourite songs across languages and genres. In early 2018, a merger between JioMusic and Saavn was announced; creating a combined entity valued at over $1 billion.
We blend digital technology, data analysis (which we have affectionately coined Music Science), and a strong, fearless business acumen to reach all corners of the globe. Through partnerships with Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and Shazam - to name a few - JioSaavn reaches more music fans across the world. Our award-winning mobile products, partnerships, innovations and thought leadership have been featured in some of the world’s leading publications, from The New York Times, to The Wall Street Journal, The Economic Times to Forbes, and many more. We are well-funded by some of the world’s most successful institutional investors and global media companies as well as a number of strategic individuals. Beyond investing, they are advisors and supporters of our vision, our passion, and our collective ability to deliver a revolutionary music experience as the leader in India.
At JioSaavn, we ignite passion and performance to work towards a collective goal: creating the perfect mobile entertainment ecosystem that delivers the best possible music experience to millions of listeners around the world. Our default mode is that of perpetual innovation. Together, we form a concerted rhythm that goes beyond borders. We don't just go with the flow, we create it.
JioSaavn offers a dynamic and unconventional work environment, full of fun wholesome experiences – from in-office performances by some of the world’s most beloved musicians to opportunities for international travel. We believe creativity and technology blend together like sweet melodies. When you choose JioSaavn, you join a diverse world of high-calibre techies, artists, and inventors hailing from companies like Yahoo!, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, Qualcomm, HBO, Microsoft, Flipkart, Amazon, Paytm, Quikr, MSN, and NDTV. We are one of the few digital companies to provide employment opportunities that meet the Silicon Valley benchmark – right here in Mumbai! Figures, since we’ve got Silicon Valley covered, too.
Our value-based, people-first work culture is about empowering every individual in our global team to be catalysts for change in this dynamic digital world. Every day is an opportunity to bring your vision to life, and to expand, learn and grow. No idea is left unconsidered. No voice is left unheard.
With listeners speaking multiple languages in almost every country in the world, we like to think we have the most diverse user base on the planet. This has only been made possible because of the value we place on radical inclusivity in our offices across the globe. We believe different is wonderful, and what sets us apart is also what brings us closer. JioSaavn prides itself on being an equal opportunity employer. We have committed ourselves to creating a safe environment with fair and equal access and opportunities, sans discrimination. We encourage everyone to be open to experiences and perspectives beyond their normal; divergent thinkers create differentiated products, and even better music.
If our vibe matches with yours, we'd love to hear from you.
We are looking for a Manager/Senior Manager – Direct & Indirect Tax to be a key member of our growing Finance team. This role would report to the VP-Finance and will work closely with the internal and external customers to achieve the compliance, business, and financial goals of the organization.
- Dealing and managing with notices, queries, investigations of various tax and statutory authorities, representing the Company in hearings in relation to tax matters, recording statements, etc on behalf of the Company
- Proactively being connected with the recent developments in Direct and Indirect tax and undertaking impact assessment of any change in law, rules via notifications and circulars and disseminating the knowledge down to the Finance and Accounting team
- Oversee and ensure timely preparation &; submission of direct taxes compliance reports, forms & returns of assigned areas.
- Oversee and ensure compilation of monthly data, preparation of returns, and e-filing of corporate tax returns.
- Compilation of TDS transaction & filing of TDS return.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with all International and domestic transfer price regulations
- Review and monitoring of transfer price audit reports ensuring they are in line with the business activities being conducted during the year and accordingly updating them as and when needed
- Transfer Price strategy and risk mitigation
- Representation before tax authorities for Transfer Price Assessments
- Review of Business model and operations in line with recent/forthcoming changes in relation to tax treaties, BEPS, SEP rules, etc
- Monitoring and Leading the tax reporting (in addition to normal Corporate and TDS returns) as and when required
- Basic knowledge of US Taxes, filings, WHT rules, various forms and returns due on a periodic basis and working with the US Team and Tax Advisors to monitor ensure this is done on a timely basis
- Any other responsibilities in relation to Direct and Indirect Tax matters as communicated by the Manager from time to time
- Oversee all GST matters of the Company including preparation and filing of monthly GST returns, GST credit reconciliations, GST periodic audits, legacy GST matters, and queries and ensure timeliness and accuracy of the filings, troubleshooting escalated matters from Vendors/Partners/.Customers in relation to GST and arriving at the most favorable outcome for the Company
- Independently assess the GST and other taxes impact on current and new projects and initiatives of the Business teams and advise them timely of the implications Oversee the preparation and filing of periodic GST refund claim, claim verification, and answering any queries from the tax office.
- Lead Group (internal) and Statutory (external) GST audits and coordinate with internal teams for the details sought in the audits.
- Work closely with Group Tax Advisors, consultants as and when required for ensuring timely responses to notices, tax litigations, etc
- Handling service tax compliance refund claims and litigation for periods prior to GST implementation and all related legacy issues for which notices were received or not received.
- CA having tax (Direct and Indirect) experience with 6-8 years post qualification experience in Services Company (MNC/large private/public Limited Company)
- Candidates with prior experience from the internet/online industry would be preferred (nice to have)
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives
- Expert knowledge of all Indian Direct and Indirect Tax Laws. Well versed with theknowledge of GST Act, Service Tax, Income Tax (including Transfer Pricing) Rules, Forms, Procedures, detailed theoretical knowledge of the Act and related Rules
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with an internal and external customer focus
- Ability and willingness for hands-on working for Tally and any one ERP (must have)
- Strong Excel skills (must have)
- The candidate should be in touch with the latest developments on Direct and Indirect tax matters in India and worldwide (by reference to websites, journals, publications, etc) and should be able to communicate the recent changes to the Management.
- Excellent communication skills with the capability to highlight critical issues with impact and provide solutions within and outside the Finance team
- Strong analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills and abilities
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
At JioSaavn, we blur work and play, and you get all the perks of a global company. You will get to work with a dynamic group of entrepreneurs, who are delivering results and working zealously across time zones to make a difference in the way the world experiences music. We love what we do, and we think you will too.
- Group Mediclaim
- Fun Fridays
- Flexible vacation policies
- Free healthy (and unhealthy) lunches & snacks
- JioSaavn-sponsored team outings