Vice President of Design
- Mumbai, India
- Full Time
JOB TITLE: VICE PRESIDENT, DESIGN
JioSaavn is South Asia’s leading music streaming service. We are over 300 entrepreneurs, across New York, California, Mumbai, Gurgaon, and Bangalore, who help music lovers access, discover, and listen to their favorite songs across languages and genres. In early 2018, a merger between JioMusic and Saavn was announced; creating a combined entity valued at over $1 billion.
We blend digital technology, data analysis (which we have affectionately coined Music Science), and a strong, fearless business acumen to reach all corners of the globe. Through partnerships with Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and Shazam - to name a few - JioSaavn reaches more music fans across the world. Our award-winning mobile products, partnerships, innovations and thought leadership have been featured in some of the world’s leading publications, from The New York Times, to The Wall Street Journal, The Economic Times to Forbes, and many more. We are well-funded by some of the world’s most successful institutional investors and global media companies as well as a number of strategic individuals. Beyond investing, they are advisors and supporters of our vision, our passion, and our collective ability to deliver a revolutionary music experience as the leader in India.
At JioSaavn, we ignite passion and performance to work towards a collective goal: creating the perfect mobile entertainment ecosystem that delivers the best possible music experience to millions of listeners around the world. Our default mode is that of perpetual innovation. Together, we form a concerted rhythm that goes beyond borders. We don't just go with the flow, we create it.
JioSaavn offers a dynamic and unconventional work environment, full of fun wholesome experiences – from in-office performances by some of the world’s most beloved musicians to opportunities for international travel. We believe creativity and technology blend together like sweet melodies. When you choose JioSaavn, you join a diverse world of high-calibre techies, artists, and inventors hailing from companies like Yahoo!, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, Qualcomm, HBO, Microsoft, Flipkart, Amazon, Paytm, Quikr, MSN, and NDTV. We are one of the few digital companies to provide employment opportunities that meet the Silicon Valley benchmark – right here in Mumbai! Figures, since we’ve got Silicon Valley covered, too.
Our value-based, people-first work culture is about empowering every individual in our global team to be catalysts for change in this dynamic digital world. Every day is an opportunity to bring your vision to life, and to expand, learn and grow. No idea is left unconsidered. No voice is left unheard.
With listeners speaking multiple languages in almost every country in the world, we like to think we have the most diverse user base on the planet. This has only been made possible because of the value we place on radical inclusivity in our offices across the globe. We believe different is wonderful, and what sets us apart is also what brings us closer. JioSaavn prides itself on being an equal opportunity employer. We have committed ourselves to creating a safe environment with fair and equal access and opportunities, sans discrimination. We encourage everyone to be open to experiences and perspectives beyond their normal; divergent thinkers create differentiated products, and even better music.
If our vibe matches with yours, we'd love to hear from you.
JioSaavn is looking for an experienced and talented design leader to lead our Design team Mumbai, India. You’ll report directly to the CPO. Your mission is to be the voice of advocacy for the value of design to the rest of the company with a constantly moving goalpost of expectations. The VP of Design should have a clear understanding of the importance of meaningful design, and how to achieve it from all aspects of an organization, from brand & content, to product design, and everywhere in between.
As the leader of two mature design teams, you’ll collaborate with stakeholders from all areas of the organization throughout all stages of product life cycle, marketing campaigns, and branding exercises. We’re looking for someone who leads by example with a great eye, a passion for deceivingly simple design, and who loves to build and iterate. The VP of Design should have a clear sense of the operational work required to keep a growing design team running smoothly, solidifying the operations of the team as it grows and matures. You should be the user-centric voice of the customer, and the ultimate guardian of our brand and product quality. You should be willing and able to present ideas and visions from the design team using data-based design direction, logic and justification.
The VP of Design should be a jack of all trades in the design world. With extensive knowledge and experience in all fields of design including product design and brand & content design. You will be responsible for seeing the big picture, and advocating for quality design every step of the way. Every pixel matters.
- Continue solidifying the systems and processes of the design teams as they grow to allow for a consistent and productive work flow
- Go to bat for your team. Be the manager you would want. Give trust, credit, respect, and inspiration. Take the blame when necessary
- Continually identify and fill gaps in the team, with a defined hiring plan
- Set ambitious goals for the design team and yourself that ensures scalability and longevity
- Have an opinion, produce consistently great work, and champion simplicity
- Communicate ideas and requirements effectively across teams, driving concepts and mentoring others to help deliver their best work
- Help shepherd the design process through various requests and iterations
- Work alongside the product leaders to drive and inspire a vision for the product 2-5 years out
- Build Design programs that influence the product/company direction
- Immerse yourself in company goals and business needs, and effectively translate the needs to functional plans for the design team
- Stay up to date with the latest product developments and trends, and innovate your own
- Balance idealism and pragmatism
- Ensure consistency across all branding materials
- Inspire visual thinking and meaningful design
- Work alongside the marketing team to ensure the JioSaavn voice remains human
- Elevate the voice of the design team company wide
- Has managed a design team (or multiple) at scale in a technology product
- 5+ years of experience as a design leader
- Has extensive experience working with Product Management and Engineering teams
- Has strong experience directing and designing for mobile (iOS, Android, and mobile web) and pitfalls of mobile-first, desktop-first, and responsiveness
- Has the ability to push boundaries, think outside the box
- Has a deep understanding of user interface and experience
- Has an obsession with pixel perfect designs, and beautiful type
- Has a deep understanding of branding
- Has exceptional communication skills – both written and verbal
Ideally, you’ll also excel at least a few of the following:
- Strong experience with front-end development (at least HTML5, CSS3, JS, and browser compliance)
- Strong iOS (Objective-C, Swift) or Android (Java, XML) native development skills
- Strong experience building and shipping production-level consumer media products
- Managing a remote team
- Hand-sketching and illustration
- Advanced animation
- Video and/or audio editing
- Ability to balance multiple, often vastly different, products
- Conceptualizing multiple solutions to a problem
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
At JioSaavn, we blur work and play, and you get all the perks of a global company. You will get to work with a dynamic group of entrepreneurs, who are delivering results and working zealously across time zones to make a difference in the way the world experiences music. We love what we do, and we think you will too.
- Group Mediclaim
- Fun Fridays
- Flexible vacation policies
- Free healthy (and unhealthy) lunches & snacks
- JioSaavn-sponsored team outings