JOB TITLE: LEAD MOBILE UI DEVELOPER
LOCATION: MUMBAI, INDIA
JioSaavn is South Asia’s leading music streaming service. We are over 200 entrepreneurs, across New York, California, Mumbai, Gurgaon, and Bangalore, who help music lovers access, discover, and listen to their favorite songs across languages and genres. In early 2018, a merger between JioMusic and Saavn was announced; creating a combined entity valued at over $1 billion.
We blend digital technology, data analysis (which we have affectionately coined Music Science), and a strong, fearless business acumen to reach all corners of the globe. Through partnerships with Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and Shazam - to name a few - JioSaavn reaches more music fans across the world. Our award-winning mobile products, partnerships, innovations and thought leadership have been featured in some of the world’s leading publications, from The New York Times, to The Wall Street Journal, The Economic Times to Forbes, and many more. We are well-funded by some of the world’s most successful institutional investors and global media companies as well as a number of strategic individuals. Beyond investing, they are advisors and supporters of our vision, our passion, and our collective ability to deliver a revolutionary music experience as the leader in India.
At JioSaavn, we ignite passion and performance to work towards a collective goal: creating the perfect mobile entertainment ecosystem that delivers the best possible music experience to millions of listeners around the world. Our default mode is that of perpetual innovation. Together, we form a concerted rhythm that goes beyond borders. We don't just go with the flow, we create it.
JioSaavn offers a dynamic and unconventional work environment, full of fun wholesome experiences – from in-office performances by some of the world’s most beloved musicians to opportunities for international travel. We believe creativity and technology blend together like sweet melodies. When you choose JioSaavn, you join a diverse world of high-calibre techies, artists, and inventors hailing from companies like Yahoo!, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, Qualcomm, HBO, Microsoft, Flipkart, Amazon, Paytm, Quikr, MSN, and NDTV. We are one of the few digital companies to provide employment opportunities that meet the Silicon Valley benchmark – right here in Mumbai! Figures, since we’ve got Silicon Valley covered, too.
Our value-based, people-first work culture is about empowering every individual in our global team to be catalysts for change in this dynamic digital world. Every day is an opportunity to bring your vision to life, and to expand, learn and grow. No idea is left unconsidered. No voice is left unheard.
With listeners speaking multiple languages in almost every country in the world, we like to think we have the most diverse user base on the planet. This has only been made possible because of the value we place on radical inclusivity in our offices across the globe. We believe different is wonderful, and what sets us apart is also what brings us closer. JioSaavn prides itself on being an equal opportunity employer. We have committed ourselves to creating a safe environment with fair and equal access and opportunities, sans discrimination. We encourage everyone to be open to experiences and perspectives beyond their normal; divergent thinkers create differentiated products, and even better music.
If our vibe matches with yours, we'd love to hear from you.
JioSaavn is looking for an engineer with design chops and a passion for building great user interface. As a Mobile UI Developer, you’ll work very closely with both Engineering and Design, bridging the gap and leading efforts to build, optimize, and fine-tune every aspect of our Android and iOS apps’ front-end. If you only know one platform or the other, you must be ready, willing, and able to learn and master the other.
You will need to be equal parts technical skill and design savvy, constantly pushing to make JioSaavn’s UI pixel-perfect, silky smooth, and beautifully presented. You will work directly in the codebase, right alongside mobile engineers, as well as directly with designers to help craft and implement their designs, define interactions, and just make sure the apps are always polished.
You should continuously and obsessively champion good user experience, design, performance, and efficiency. You should love to code interfaces, build amazing interactions, bring animations to life, and help evolve our design language, all while staying ahead of the curve on Android and iOS best practices, usability, accessibility — and, c’mon, all the cool new features too.
- Own and develop the design system and interactions in our Android and iOS apps, working side-by-side with design to ensure everything comes to life exactly as intended.
- Write, organize, and maintain clean and reusable code.
- Build interfaces in code.
- Ensure designs and interfaces scale beautifully across device types and sizes, OS versions, and in all the quirky and unusual scenarios you can think of.
- Proactively find and address design and development issues, performance problems, slow frame-rates, and any and all animation and UI issues.
- Constantly champion the importance of design, interface, and UI consistency.
- Create moments of delight for our users.
- Participate in both code and design reviews and feedback.
- Question everything and never settle.
- Lead projects from early analysis and problem statement, through concept and launch, post-launch analysis, iteration and improvement, and communication of results. Lather, rinse, and repeat.
- At least 3+ years of experience building Android and/or iOS apps, with an emphasis on beautiful user interfaces and interactions.
- Strong knowledge of either Java and XML, or Objective-C/Swift. Ideally both.
- Fluent and comfortable in modern Android development – everything from object-oriented Java, to XML fragments, to Android development tools.
- Full mastery of Material Design standards, implementing custom designs, animation standards, and design technologies.
- Full mastery of Apple’s HIG, animation standards, and design technologies.
- You must care deeply about design, performance, and love working with designers to building interfaces and cool interactions.
- Exceptional communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Be able to spot the smallest imperfections, tiny inconsistencies, small lags in frame-rates, and know how to fix them.
- Deep technical expertise across Android and iOS technologies and APIs.
- Passionate about staying on top of interface trends, new OS features and APIs.
- Proficient in Photoshop, able to work with and reference design files.
- A bias towards great and simple design, blazing fast performance, and clean execution.
- Strong experience with other technologies, including web and back-end technologies.
Ideally, you’ll have one or more apps in the Google Play and/or iTunes Stores, and also excel at least a few of the following:
- User research and analysis.
- Design, typography, layout, and/or animation.
- Front- or back-end web development.
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
At JioSaavn, we blur work and play, and you get all the perks of a global company. You will get to work with a dynamic group of entrepreneurs, who are delivering results and working zealously across time zones to make a difference in the way the world experiences music. We love what we do, and we think you will too.
- Group Mediclaim
- Fun Fridays
- Flexible vacation policies
- Free healthy (and unhealthy) lunches & snacks
- JioSaavn-sponsored team outings